It takes a lot of planning to pay for college. Tuition costs are rising every year and graduates are being pushed from debt to debt. While the cost of higher education is forbidden for some, many meritorious students are forced to make their dreams small. Scholarships can make earning a degree more affordable. Students qualify on the basis of academic performance, special interests or financial needs. If you are asked to help with the process, we’ve got you covered! Here is a list of sample recommendation letters for scholarship applications that best meet the needs of your students.
How to Write a Scholarship Recommendation Letter
If you are asked to write a letter of recommendation for your student scholarship, you may feel overwhelmed. You want to help your student, but you are worried that your letter will not be good enough. In the end, you can only do your best, so lead with your heart and consider the following tips:
- Use letterhead and add your personal information (full name, title, school name, etc.) in the upper left corner.
- Complete the entire page (at least 300 words) with an introduction, two to three paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- In the first paragraph, introduce your students, specify the scholarship they are applying for, and share details about the nature and length of your relationship.
- In the main paragraph, describe how your students are qualified and eligible for scholarships.
- In your final section, pull everything together and emphasize the strengths of your students as well as the reasons why you are approving them.
Here’s a quick video on how to create an effective scholarship recommendation letter:
Don’t you think you can honestly provide a positive recommendation? Gently refuse their request for a letter. Avoid putting yourself in a position where you have to be innocent. You don’t want to write anything negative because it could cost the student a chance to earn a scholarship.
Sample recommendation letter for scholarship application
1. General Scholarship Recommendation Letter
If you’re trying to offer a rounded view of a student’s performance in high school, this is a great sample scholarship letter. You will include information about your experience with them and your thoughts on their potential success in higher-education settings.
2. Sample of Rhodes Scholarship letter
If your student is a candidate for a prestigious award, such as a Rhodes Scholarship, this sample scholarship letter will give you an idea of what you need to share with the selection committee. With this type of recommendation letter, you want to provide as much appreciation and positive information as possible.
3. Scholarship letters for math students
There are many great scholarship opportunities for strong math students. This sample recommendation letter outlines how to share not only your student’s math talents but also other traits that make them a good candidate.
4. Leadership Scholarship Sample Letter
This helpful scholarship recommendation letter provides an example to highlight leadership skills. Back up your approval by sharing specific situations as well as participating in any committee, program, or event where your student has done well.
5. Scholarship letter for international studies
Does your student plan to go abroad? If so, review this sample for writing a strong letter of recommendation for this particular type of scholarship. Be sure to include evidence of why you believe your student is good and exceptional.
6. Environmental Scholarships
Has one of your students decided to pursue a degree in environmental science and wildlife? If so, this scholarship recommendation letter is a good example because it briefly highlights their strengths and shares why they would be a good candidate.
7. Scholarships for students in need of financial assistance
No one will miss college education because they cannot afford to pay. You can help them overcome this obstacle! This excellent sample letter of recommendation shows the details to be included for the scholarship on the basis of financial need.
8. Scholarship recommendation letter for STEM students
There are many scholarships for students planning to pursue a career in STEM fields. If you are asked to write a letter of recommendation for this type of scholarship, this sample will give you a good idea of what to include.
9. Greek Society Scholarship Letter Sample
Brotherhood and sorcery can be a great source of financial support for college and university students. Review this sample recommendation letter for scholarship applications for candidates from Greek society.
10. Personal approval for scholarship
This sample letter of recommendation for a scholarship application is best when you cannot prove to a potential student academic performance but want to share information about their personal character and how it relates to the scholarship program.
Do you have a great sample recommendation letter for scholarship application? Share in the comments below!
See also examples of this helpful teacher cover letter.
Want more articles like this? Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter!